Friday 2 December 2016

Methotrexate: #1

Today I want to write a bit about my first experience with methotrexate chemotherapy in the hopes that someone else, who might be going through it too, will have some insight into what it's like.
As I write this I'm in my hospital room, listening to the chatter coming from the corridors. I'm hooked up to an IV bag of fluids - 2h40m left in it - and feeling good.

On Monday, I had my PICC line reinstalled after it came out of my heart. I have my suspicions as to why it came out of my heart, but those are for me; besides, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I have my PICC back in, not why it came out.

I had it reinstalled on Monday, and then I was moved up to ward C7 - the haematology ward. I was put onto a drip of IV fluids - 2 hours each - and stayed like that for about a day. Then, on Wednesday I was taken off of the fluids, given anti-emetics and some other stuff, and hooked up to a 15-minute drip of methotrexate to gauge my reaction to it before starting me on the larger bag.

I reacted well and had no ill-effects, so I was started onto the 3-hour bag right away. As before, no ill-effects; much better than the R-CHOP! (I still have bad memories of vomiting/fainting because of it...) So the methotrexate went by without a hitch.

I was then started onto fluids again, and this went on for about 16 hours. Every three hours, though, the bag was changed instead of every two. Then, after about 48 hours from starting my methotrexate, I was put onto folinic acid once every six hours to help my body flush out the methotrexate and prevent damage to my kidneys. (At least, that's my understanding - don't quote me on it!)

I am currently still on constant IV fluids and folinic acid every six hours, however my blood tests have been sent away to a lab to see what my methotrexate levels are. If they are below 0.1, I will hopefully be allowed home. Hopefully!

I've just eaten two bags of Doritos and am waiting for my family to join me here again. It's been a good day so far!

Much love, as always,
Lana

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your blog for a few months now (hope that doesn't come across as too strange, given that this is my first comment!) and I just wanted to say that I've been thinking about you since I picked up on your journey and have been hoping that you're okay (given the circumstances.) It's strange, there will be days when I'll be sitting here trying to do my work - I'm in my first year at university in St Andrews, Scotland, but I'm from county Armagh - and I'll think to myself, I wonder how Lana is doing? I hope she's alright. So yeah, hello! This is me, Amber, finally checking in. Glad to hear that methotrexate has been a gentler ride in comparison to previous terrors. x

    ReplyDelete