Wednesday 15 June 2016

We Can Do This

Occhiolism: the awareness of the smallness of your perspective.

Hello there - My name is Lana. I go by many names across the web, but for the purpose of such a personal blog, I will use my real name. I am seventeen years old, and on June 1st, 2016, I was diagnosed with high-grade B-cell non-hodgkin's lymphoma. 
Now, fourteen days later, I am setting up this blog to document my journey.

Cancer is a scary thing. The word alone leaves a bitter taste in your mouth - But I suppose that after sixteen days of being inpatient with tests and treatment, I have grown used to it. But just because something is familiar does not mean it's not scary; sometimes the fact that it is familiar only makes you more afraid. I never thought I would be diagnosed with cancer, especially not at seventeen. I never thought that the bad cold that knocked me on my ass for a few days would turn out to be
anything except that: a bad cold. I never thought I would be making a blog dedicated to my cancer journey - and yet, here we are.

my chemotherapy wig - my hair is not coming out yet, but I am prepared!
As I write this, I have had my first cycle of R-CHOP chemotherapy and, two days ago, I had my first round of intrathecal chemotherapy to try to prevent the lymphoma from spreading into my central nervous system. My next session for R-CHOP is scheduled for next Thursday, assuming everything goes to plan.

This blog is my safe haven: a place for total honesty with myself and with others about the struggles and strengths I face as a seventeen year old with cancer. I hope that this blog might let someone in a similar situation know that they are not alone - and keep everything powering forwards, for myself and for other sufferers. 

We can do this.


12 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for u thinking of u at this time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana I will pray for you today and read your blog. May God bless you and give you strength

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana, I love that even at times like this you are still thinking of others xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lana we are praying for you and your family, you can/will beat this honey...keep your chin up. ��. Doris Black (Glass Family)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana I have been thinking about you all since I first heard the news. Stay strong and kick it's ass!! Lots of love & hugs, Jules xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lana, we have never met but I've heard a lot about you, my wife works with your mum. For the last year I've had my own personal battle against cancer. You are now entering your own battle and you'll never know how brave you are until being brave is your only option. Always remember you didn't pick this fight but you're damn well gonna win it. I can see you are a positive young lady and being positive is what you have to be. Good luck in this battle, and it is winable, endure all the medical staff throw at you, they are on your side. I'll follow your blog, I'm sure it'll become an inspiration to many including myself.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you gotta go through this at such a young age.......stay as strong as we can all see that u r and stay positive x thinking of u and your family who must be worried sick ...........my wee cousin went through similar when just few years older than u and is all good now x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a very strong young lady and your attitude is amazing. I will be praying with you as you tackle this beast head on. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lana, I am an old friend of your Dad and faced cancer down a few years ago. I used alternatives to beat it. You might want to also look at this just for your information. Robert Jardine is a practitioner in Glasgow.
    http://learninggnm.com/SBS/documents/gnm_articles___introduction.html

    And may the road rise to meet your feet on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To my beautiful cousin Lana, a young positive girl who I know will face this battle head on, and win!! I love you! Rebecca xxx

    Under the wing of an angel, we feel protected
    Through prayers to God, we feel connected

    Peace is said to be offered on the wings of a dove
    Prayers can bring peace along with hope, faith, and love

    Wings of a jet plane provide steady flight
    I pray you remain steady and strong through this fight

    Butterflies have wings to fly playfully free
    And free from this monster is what I pray you'll soon be

    Birds spread their wings as they may leave their nest
    We're spreading our prayers that you'll always be Blessed

    Go fight and win this battle you didn't start
    On the wings of an angel and prayers from my heart

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fight and enjoy every precious moment. And then fight for more moments. Love and support from someone you will never know.

    ReplyDelete