Wednesday 10 August 2016

PICC lines: the trilogy

(Read on and the title will explain itself...)

So, yesterday I got my PICC line put in. This was the first time I've ever had a PICC line, so naturally I went in there very, very scared. Everyone had said "it's not bad!" but the thought of it all scared the life out of me, and no amount of kind words could change my mind. I was petrified.
So, today, I want to talk about my experience - or rather, experiences- with PICC lines.

For anyone who does not know what a PICC line is, here is a quick definition:
A PICC line is a long, thin, flexible tube known as a catheter. It is inserted into one of the large veins of the arm near the bend of the elbow. It is then threaded into the vein until the tip sits in a large vein just above the heart.
So, now we're all clear on what the device actually is, let's talk about the insertion. It's a sterile procedure, so everything must be sterilized and clean. I was in my cancer outpatient center - Laurel House - in my hospital to have this put in. I was taken into the back of the treatment area and the curtains were pulled. I was laid down on the bed, and it was brought up so the nurse could work with me easily. My arm was then positioned on a pillow and I was asked to rotate my arm. A drape was put over me.

It begins with the nurse looking for veins in your upper arm, well above the crook of your elbow. I had an amazing nurse, who kept me calm. I did cry at one point out of fear, but I can tell you that it really was not that bad at all. The worst pain you feel is the sting of the lidocaine and maybe when the needles goes into the vein - but it's a very bearable pain.

They do this by using an ultrasound machine, or something similar. They apply a cool gel to lubricate the area and then use this machine to look for veins. When a few veins are located - They found three in my arm - they get prepared for the procedure to start. Lidocaine is injected into your arm to numb the area, and they ask you if you feel anything sharp while they make the incision.

From this point onwards, I don't really know the ins-and-outs of the procedure. You can't actually see it happening because of the drape. I believe that what happens is a needle is put into your arm and the tube is guided through by that needle, and it's threaded along the vein into place. That's my understanding of it, but I don't know all the details so I won't even attempt to guess - it's better simply to let you nurse do what they need to do, and not get too anxious.

Was it painful? No, not at all. A bit of discomfort is the worst you'll feel. And I can tell you this was not just a fluke - I had to have the procedure done three - yes, three! - times. It was not painful (besides a mild, mild pain with the lidocaine and such) any of those times. We went for my left arm as it was my preference, and the PICC line failed twice. We decided to leave it until another day and then try it in my right arm, but by some twist of fate we ended up getting another slot and the PICC line was inserted into my right arm - successfully!

So, yes; that's the trilogy. I have had three PICC line insertions for one PICC line.

To anyone worrying about getting a PICC line, I hope this reassures you- it isn't bad, not at all. It's normal to be nervous, but consciously try to relax - it makes the whole process easier. I think my first two attempts failed because, aside from my crappy veins, I was so nervous. By the third time, I knew what to expect - so it was much easier.

Another thing to talk about is the adjustment to having a PICC line. It's weird having one in, and you worry about bumping it or tugging it - I know I did. I spoke with my nurse, and she put my mind at ease. I can sleep on the side that has the PICC line, and sleep on my other side, too. You just have to be careful with bathing and showering and there are some restrictions on what you can do with that arm. It's just something you must learn to live with - but really, it isn't that hard to get used to. Be careful, but don't let your life revolve around your PICC line. Don't worry about falling asleep incase you pull it out - you won't. As the nurses told me, they have never ever seen anyone's PICC line come out from sleeping. It really only moves if you're doing something stupid, like going to a rave with a PICC line in your arm.

So, take heart - it's not a bad procedure! It's nerve wracking, yes, but that's normal. Talk to your nurse, maybe bring a family member - everyone is there to care for you. It's just a bit uncomfortable, and that's all. Good luck to anyone having a line inserted - You'll do great!

PS. I am a total baby when it comes to medical procedures - I get so scared beforehand. So trust me when I say, it's not that bad and if I can do it, anyone can.

3 comments:

  1. You are a star ... believe me ... I know!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!So brave of you!!😉👏👌💋

    ReplyDelete