Monday 4 July 2016

A Week at Most

That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. I'll only be in hospital for a week, at most. It's reassuring when you think of it like that - I have to accept that, unfortunately, the hospital is just going to be a home-away-from-home for a while. But counting down the days helps make them go in quicker, I find, as long as you don't dwell on it too much. There's a fine line between counting down the days and just making yourself miserable.

We all have to do things we don't like doing, and for me, coming into hospital is one of them. The staff, nurses and doctors are all lovely, don't get me wrong - but still, you just can't be yourself when you're not at home. It's my third stay in the hospital - Altogether, I've spent nearly thirty days in the hospital since May. It's crazy how time flies!

I'm back in with a possible infection at the moment - my infection markers have risen since yesterday, so I'm getting antibiotics to ward off any infections and treat anything that might be in me, already. My neutrophils are low - not as low as they were the first time around, though - so I am susceptible to infection. That means extra special care with hand washing and sanitizing, no visitors, and so on. It's boring, nobody can deny it - but if it'll keep me healthy, I'll happily do what I need to.

I came in yesterday with severe pain in my back - While I was waiting for the ambulance to come and get me from my house, I ended up dizzy and started being sick. I was kept lying down, because anytime I stood up I would get dizzy again and throw up. This happened a few times, and my temperature spiked, so they gave me anti-emetics and paracetamol and that really did the trick. I can now stand, walk, and do pretty much whatever I need to by myself again - No dizzy spells or sickness involved!

The most important thing I have learned, though, is that when you're worried about something, get it checked out. That cough that wouldn't go away? We got it checked and caught the cancer early. The back pain? We got it checked and prevented a possibly-severe infection. It's the most important advice I have for anyone - You know your body best. If something worries you, then get it sorted out!


I'll be home again soon - I am bored out of my mind, so I will be writing while I'm here. It's weird to think, but if all this hadn't happened - if I hadn't been diagnosed with cancer - I would be jetting off on my first holiday of the year in only a matter of days. Cancer really has taken things over, but I'm determined not to let it ruin my year - after all, every day is a new opportunity to make the most of.


1 comment:

  1. You're amazing Lana and so strong throughout all this. Your words are powerful. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete